Tips for buying a used car
When buying a used car, you should:
- Inform the seller you intend to do an encumbrance check (PPSR check - previously known as a REVS check) and other checks on the car.
- Obtain the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and go to revs.com.au to purchase a complete car history report (the VIN can be found on the registration certificate, or on the engine, door posts (where the door latches when it is closed), or the passenger side windscreen).
- Make sure the VIN, engine number and registration details on the car match those on the registration papers.
- Get an independent mechanical inspection.
- On the day you take ownership of the vehicle, purchase a PPSR (formerly REVS) Certificate to protect you against repossessions.
You can purchase both reports by entering the vehicle's VIN in the search box above and clicking GO.